If you follow me on Instagram then you know that I recently celebrated my 5th spiritual birthday! 🎈Yes, I’ve been saved for 5 years now and it’s the best decision I’ve ever made. Today I am sharing the top 5 things I’ve learned after being saved for 5 years. Because no day is the same and everyday you learn something new.
- Forgive yourself for the things you’ve repented. God forgives and then puts your sins into the sea of forgetfulness, Micah 7:19. So if God has forgiven and forgotten, why do we sometimes live in a state of bondage when we’ve been freed? A lot of us are tied to a past that God no longer remembers. In fact, once we give our lives to God we become new creatures. According to our spiritual DNA, we are new beings. So our past mistakes do not define our future. Yes, everything that we go through works together for the greater good. However, we’re not punished for what we once did. I used to think I was still single because of my abortion. I would beat myself up for my past mistakes but God’s told me time again that I’m not being punished. The enemy wants us to hold onto our past so that we wont move into our beautiful future with Christ. Sis, the moment Christ went on the cross, you were forgiven. Let it go just like Christ has.
- True love begins with loving God. You know how the bible tells us that the most important commandment is to love your neighbor as you love yourself? Well, I spent sometime struggling with loving others. No matter how hard I tried, the love was never fully real. It wasn’t until I began to understand how God loves me and all that He’s done for me that I actually started to love God. I know that may sound weird but I am just being real. From as far as I can remember I have always said I love God but my actions never showed it. In the bible Jesus says those who love me keep my commandments. To me that means loving God isn’t just a three word phrase, it’s actionable. So when you truly love God you learn to love yourself and His people. It starts with loving Him first!
- God’s word trumps my personal feelings. By human nature, I am a very sensitive person and I allow my emotions to control me. But after giving my life to God, I realized that in order to grow in Christ I’d have to overthrow the control of my emotions. I say that because there have been plenty of times when my personal preferences spoke against the bible. I have to die constantly when my emotions, actions or views don’t align with God. In order to be who I am called to be, I need to die to my ways and follow Him. Even Jesus had to put His call over His own personal feelings.
- Stay in God’s word. The bible will be a beacon of light in the darkest days. And your joy on the most joyous of days. It is the foundation of who we are and a written example of the life we are to live. Without spending time in God’s world, you’re lost.
- Trust God even when I don’t understand what’s going on. I’ve realized that real trust is blind. And honestly, if you are trusting for the first time, it can be a bit scary. But I can promise you that trusting God will always end in your favor. He is really the only that we can trust. His words are planted on solid ground. Jeremiah 29:11 says “‘For I know the plans I have for you,’ declares the Lord, ‘plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'”
I hope you enjoyed reading the 5 Things I’ve Learned After Being Saved For 5 Years. This is definitely not all that I have learned but these are definitely things that took a lot of work for me to learn. 🎉 The person who I’ve become is a result of grace, favor and obedience! I am still growing and have a ways to go. I am just thankful to be chosen! What are some things that you have learned from being saved? Let me know in the comments!